Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Jinky Llamanzares bounces back at Hong Kong Disneyland



If you think the international entertainment scene has snatched world-class talent Jinky Llamanzares away from the home front, think again. She’s back in the country with renewed dynamism to resume her career in mainstream entertainment.

“Miss Saigon” Canada, “Tommy,” the rock opera, Hong Kong Disneyland’s Golden Mickeys had kept Jinky away from the Philippines intermittently, leaving behind her a flourishing solo singing career. Understandably, she made a go for these bigger opportunities abroad to further her growth as an artist. And she has no regrets.

In 1992, Jinky’s solo career hit its stride when she took on the part of Gigi in the Canadian production of “Miss Saigon.” She was a sensation on the world stage, such that after “Miss Saigon,” she was immediately offered the part of the Acid Queen in the rock opera “Tommy,” which she starred in until 1995.

She came back to the Philippines after that, and resumed doing lounge acts and corporate shows till the offer to join the Hong Kong Disneyland team came her way. She became part of Golden Mickeys, an attraction that paid tribute to Disney’s award-winning movies.

“I worked every day, from Monday to Friday, then I would have two days off,” Jinky recounts.

“I saw it as another experience. Disney is a reputable company, so why wouldn’t I want to be part of it? I also wanted to travel. I love travelling, and I love entertaining, and being part of HK Disneyland, I got to do both.”

Jinky was in Hong Kong from September 2005 to March 2007. Her actual contract was for one and a half years, but she stayed a little longer than that before coming home to Manila.

A seasoned performer that she is, Jinky thinks she still has what it takes to shine once more in the local music scene, unfazed by tough competition and the challenge of the times. “Once upon a time, I made my mark in this industry. I can make it again,” she says with all certainty.

Lest the public forget her, she reminds, “I want to tell people that I’m still active. I want to try acting and hosting. I want to experiment. There’s nothing like performing here.”

But who can forget Jinky Llamanzares? Hers is a tough act to follow. Her triumph in the Musicmate search in 1986 (the same singing contest won by Jamie Rivera) gave Jinky a jumpstart in the industry. After this win, Jinky became part of Music Making Company and spent almost two years with the band, performing in various hotel lounges in and around Metro Manila. A solo career was eventually inevitable.

Even before “Saigon,” “Tommy,” and Disney, Jinky has left an indelible mark in the music industry that makes it easy for her to bounce back every time she returns home. There will always be a place for her in the local music scene. Remember, Jinky Llamanzares is world-class talent!

0 comments: